Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Types of Bolts Used on Car - Marshall Ritchie

Hello, I'm Marshall Ritchie, friend and roommate of Mark Freeze.

I am employed by a company called Fastenal, an industrial supply company, and Mark asked me to create a post explaining the differences in bolts and nuts. I don't have a blog or anything for you guys to follow but Mark felt I had more expertise on the subject and could give you guys a quick summary.

Most nuts and bolts used in the automotive industry are using a hex (six sided) style head that are standardized and require sockets to remove. Though you will occasionally find ones using a phillips head and even more rare is the flat head. The hex style can come is all sorts of different sizes in either the Imperial system or Metric.

Another difference can be whats called thread pitch. This essentially is how many threads there are across one inch of the bolt. They are commonly called either coarse thread (few threads) or fine thread (lots of threads).

I had Mark fabricate a little diagram here to give a basic visual representation of what I just talked about.

There's definitely more styles out there, but in the favor of simplicity I decided to stick with the basics. Hope this helps and have fun working on your cars!!!

- Marshall Ritchie

No comments:

Post a Comment