Sunday, June 22, 2014

Flat tire?

A surprising amount of people don't know how to change their tire in the case of having a flat. I think this is something that should be taught in Drivers Education but sadly is over looked. So I will try my best to show you how!

Here we shall be using my fathers 2001 Subaru Forester to demonstrate.

No, its not ACTUALLY flat, but who cares? Same principles.
First check to see if you have all of the proper equipment in your trunk:
- Spare tire (regularly check its air pressure)
- Lug Wrench

- Scissor Jack with pivot arm.

Step 1
- Loosen Lug nuts wit lug wrench (counterclockwise). DO NOT REMOVE THEM ONLY LOOSEN
Step 2
- Position scissor jack. For most cars, there is a stiffened support in the unibody that allows a lifting point. Please consult your owners manual for the proper jacking points.

Insert pivot arm into the hole on the scissor jack. Grasp the main rod with your secondary hand (left for me)












Grasp offset part with main hand.
Then using your secondary hand as the bearing and main hand as the motor. Rotate the arm so that it lifts the jack towards the car, eventually lifting the vehicle.
Remove the lug nuts fully and remove wheel.
Install spare tire, then reverse removal for installation. MAKE SURE YOU TIGHTEN THE LUG NUTS VERY TIGHT!

1 comment:

  1. I have run flat tires but I can certainly use this information. I have never known how to change a tire. I agree that it should be taught in drivers ed.

    ReplyDelete